Stop Arming Israel: Email your MP
Palestinians are under attack by Israeli armed forces.
In the besieged Gaza Strip, Palestinians have nowhere to hide from bombardment by Israeli warplanes striking residential areas. In May 2021, over 240 Palestinians were killed by Israeli airstrikes, over a quarter of whom were children; thousands more were injured, and over 90,000 displaced.
Inside Israel and in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, Palestinians protesting against occupation, forced displacement and ethnic cleansing have been assaulted by armed forces using live fire, rubber coated steel bullets, stun grenades, tear gas, and skunk water.
Israel uses military force to maintain its oppression of Palestinians. This brutality lies at the heart of Israel’s systematic violations of Palestinian rights, amounting to serious breaches of international law, and even war crimes.
This systematic violence is possible because of the complicity of governments and corporations around the world, including the UK. The UK government continues to approve exports of UK-made weapons and military technologies sold to and used by Israeli armed forces.
The UK government must urgently act to end its arms trade with Israel and its complicity in Israel’s occupation and war crimes: email your MP to demand a two-way arms embargo on Israel.
The UK government continues to approve arms sales to Israel, in defiance of its own export guidelines, while its imports of Israel's 'combat-proven' military hardware help Israel benefit from unlawful practices.
UK government rules are supposed to prevent arms sales if…
- use would be inconsistent with the UK’s obligations under the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty;
- there is a clear risk that the proposed export might be used for internal repression;
- there is a clear risk that the items might be used in the commission of a serious violation of international humanitarian law;
- the exports would provoke or prolong armed conflicts or aggravate existing tensions or conflicts in the country of final destination;
- there is a risk that the intended recipient would use the proposed export aggressively against another country, or to assert by force a territorial claim;
Such actions and violations are at the core of Israel’s military occupation regime. That means that if the government’s own export guidelines were properly applied, the result would be a de facto embargo on arms exports to Israel.
At the same time, the UK imports Israeli military hardware and components and also provides training, in the UK, for Israeli military personnel.
Israeli military and industry sources openly attribute the success of Israeli exports to the weapons and technologies being ‘combat proven.’
This means that when the UK imports Israeli arms, it is helping Israel benefit from unlawful practices.
Take action today to Stop Arming Israel!